Monday, July 9, 2012

Goth: An ambiguous definition

What is goth?  You've heard this question thousands of times, asked by baby bats, and non goths alike.  You've also heard just as many different definitions, given by different goths.  Why so many different definition for goths?  Because goth in itself is ambiguous.  Everyone has their own definition for what goth is, and isn't.


The Core of Goth

If you ask the ever so famous, what is goth question, you'll get a million different answers, with a few key points, where most, if not all goths agree on.

1. Goth Music
2. Goth Fashion
3. Goth Art/Literature


These three topics are half of the answer to 'what is goth'.  The other half, comes form everyone's thousands of ambiguous definitions.  What I'm getting at, is you can have your own definition of goth.  I understand what you're thinking, How do I know what is goth, and what isn't?  If I seen someone famous, like Snookie dressed in all black, my first thought wouldn't be goth.  My first thought would be Are you kidding me?  and roll my eyes at the sight.  Wearing all black doesn't make you goth.  If you have a deep appreciation for the darker side of life, then yes, I would say that is goth.  

This is a hard subject to I guess explain somewhat, with so many different definitions, and all of them right.  I don't want to say that goth is what you make of it, but at the same time, it's true.  If you think that part of goth is wearing fishnets and you like them, go for it.  Remember, you don't have to like strictly things that are viewed as goth.  Like I said, goth has an ambiguous definition, and it gets confusing.  Also, don't let elitists bring you down.  There are sticklers like that in every subculture, including the mainstream.  Have fun with it, and be true to yourself.        

No comments:

Post a Comment