Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Finding that good 'ol inspiration.

I've been at a rut as of late with my style.  I hardly dress the nines anymore, and I feel like everything has been rather dull.  Looks like it's time to search for inspiration!  So, if you're like me, who needs to search for some of that inspiration to get you out of that rut, I have a few tips for you.


1. Try finding inspiration in books

Books are amazing on their own.  The right words allow your mind to pain a canvas as to what the author is describing.  There are tons of young adult books that have goth characters.  One of them is Vampire Kisses, and I have to say that sometimes I get inspiration from the main character (or from some of the other gothy types in the books).  She has clothes in her closet that give me ideas of what I can bring to my own personal style.  You don't have to limit yourself to goth books either.  If you like fantasy, sci-fi, or even western, try to get inspiration from them.  

2. Look at pictures

Look at pictures that interest you.  I wouldn't limit myself to just goth pictures either, but every picture that you find interesting.  It can even be pictures of nature, animals, or even some mainstream styles.  Keep your mind open and get looking.

3. Listen to music

Music on it's own is a powerful source of inspiration and motivation.  Make a play list of bands and songs that you like, and listen to the music closely.  Sometimes when I do this, I get images, or short stories in my head that inspire me.

4. Write down your dreams

It's nothing new that people keep dream journals.  There are a lot of benefits to keeping dream journals, and looking for inspiration is no exception.  If you start keeping a dream journal, you can go back to read them, and get some inspiration from them.

5. Everyday life

Inspiration happens when you least expect it, and one can find just as much inspiration during everyday life.  Maybe you see someone wearing a neat piece of jewelry, or a shirt that you know would look great with a pair of pants you own.  Pay attention to the daily events in your life and get inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment